Children's Services LibrarianFARMINGTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Farmington Public Library hiring Full-Time Children's Services Librarian
Children’s Services Librarian
Farmington Public Library
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. Candidate must be able to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and Saturdays as required.
Nature of Work: Under the direction of the Library Department Head, the Children’s Services Librarian performs tasks related to providing library services and is responsible for coordinating children’s services. This staff member will share responsibility for working the reference and circulation desk. The Children’s Services Librarian also conducts offsite programming and performs tasks as necessary to encourage the use of the library by children through early literacy training to parents and caregivers.
- Bachelor’s degree, Major in Early Childhood Education or Library Science preferred.
- Experience in a professional setting working with young children, such as in elementary school, Head Start, or the children’s department of a library.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university preferred.
- Knowledge of children’s literature and experience with children’s programming.
- Knowledge of social and emotional development in children and of library principles, practices, and trends.
- Candidate should be computer literate and willing to learn new technologies.
- Plan, organize, conduct, and promote recurring and special programs including community outreach services for children with an emphasis on literacy-development techniques.
- Prepare and perform songs, stories, and other storytime delivery methods to engage and entertain children.
- Engage parents and caregivers in early literacy development and establish community partnerships.
- Perform collection development activities as assigned.
- Assist staff with on-site programming and special events.
- Create marketing materials and interact with community groups to publicize children’s services.
- Assist in cleaning of shared spaces, storage, and materials.
- Circulate library materials.
- Answer reference questions.
- Research complex questions.
- Utilize a variety of databases and computer software.
- Maintain the integrity of confidential patron records and communicate policies and procedures to the public.
- Communicate effectively and express a desire to help others.