Technical Support Specialist
TECHNICAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST 2020-01563
- Essential Job Duties
The City of Fayetteville is committed to attracting, engaging and rewarding a multi-generational workforce. By offering a total rewards package including competitive compensation and benefits plans and a purposeful work life, the City is an employer of choice focused on serving our community.
The starting rate of pay for this position will be within 15% of the grade range minimum. The rate determined will depend on experience and qualifications.
The grade range for this position is:
(Minimum 15% Minimum) Market Maximum
$23.05 $26.51 $27.77 $33.32
- Provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees (especially members of their own team), and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.
- Create a positive customer support experience and build effective working relationships through problem understanding, ensuring timely resolution or escalation, communicating promptly on progress, and handling customers with a professional attitude.
- Perform installation and troubleshooting of personal computers, virtual computers, tablet devices, desktop software, and peripheral devices while maintaining up-to-date expertise in the operation and application of all City standard PCs, increasing ability to resolve requests on first contact. Maintain a working knowledge of a wide variety of commonly used PC hardware and software in use or pending.
- Document all support requests and support activities into the City's work order management system.
- Answer help desk phone and provide first and second level support to end computer users for all City supported hardware and applications.
- Work with supervisor to develop PC replacement plans on an annual basis.
- Develop and maintain master personal computer images and deploy as needed to either re-image existing computers or build new computers.
- Comply with the published response standards as it relates to customer service.
- Maintain existing systems; work closely with staff to develop new systems to satisfy management information needs and improve operational efficiency.
- Responsible for applying systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications.
- Contact hardware and software vendors to obtain specifications, pricing, quotations and other purchase related information needed to make recommendations to departments in meeting their hardware and software needs or requests as gathered.
- Maintain licensed software inventory and hardware inventory for all PC hardware and software licensed to the City.
- Research new technologies and make recommendations for use.
- Assist supervisor in the analysis of user requests and needs to develop technical specifications based on stated requirements.
- Respond to issues in a way that minimizes down time and potential data loss.
- Provide technical aid and training to others in the effective use of both hardware and software.
- Create, maintain, and delete employee accounts in Active Directory and other systems as required. Coordinate, where necessary, access to other IT systems that are managed by other staff or departments.
- Create, maintain and delete citizen accounts in the Fayetteville emergency notification system.
- Coordinate disposal of electronic assets per City Policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Secondary Job Duties
- Secondary duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School diploma and five years of related experience required. Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university with three years of related experience preferred.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Must successfully pass criminal background check, including but not limited to convictions, guilty pleas, or no contest pleas to violent offenses, theft offenses and any offense under A.C.A. §21-15-103 or A.C.A. §21-15-111.
- Must comply with FBI Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) requirements within 2 weeks of employment.
- Effectively communicate with others orally and in writing.
- Working knowledge of computer networking required.
- Knowledge of cabling to connect user workstations to required data and other related software programs required.
- Must be able to use mathematics including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division as well as the practical application of fractions, percentages and ratios.
- Must be able to read and comprehend technical manuals and convey the information to non-technical end-users.
- Must be proficient in the use of a computer and related software programs. Must be able to effectively operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to work after hours or weekends on an as needed basis to provide support which includes the ability to be on-call for emergency support.
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others, stand, walk, and sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
EOE AA Veteran/Disability