Planner 2020 - 01559
The City of Fayetteville is committed to attracting, engaging and rewarding a multi-generational workforce. By offering a total rewards package including competitive compensation and benefits plans and a purposeful work life, the City is an employer of choice focused on serving our community.
As an employer of choice, the City provides a base compensation and total rewards structure that is highly competitive.
The starting rate of pay for this position will depend on experience and qualifications.
The grade range for this position is:
(Minimum 15% Minimum) Market Maximum
$20.43 $23.49 $24.62 $29.54
- Provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees (especially members of his or her own team), and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.
- Use independent judgment in reviewing development and zoning proposals to ensure that the projects are in compliance with the City's ordinances and policies. Advise citizens and developers on the most appropriate process and documentation for their particular proposal. Offer design solutions and creative ideas to assist the developer or citizen in making any changes necessary in order to meet with City requirements.
- Review building permits for commercial and multi-family structures.
- Review, approve and stamp development proposal responses to the applicants/developers, for the purpose of moving a project through the development process in a timely manner.
- Assist the general public with development questions and/or explain the intent and scope of a proposed development. Investigate and respond to citizen questions or complaints relating to zoning or land use issues.
- Attend preliminary meetings with developers and design professionals, prior to project submittal.
- Prepare and present staff recommendations and write comprehensive reports and memos related to planning issues and policies regarding developments within the City's jurisdiction at public meetings. Present projects to various boards and be prepared to answer questions.
- Responsible for facilitating meetings and representing the City at assigned board or commission meetings.
- Conduct site inspections to ensure development has occurred in accordance with approved plans.
- Coordinate activities between Code Compliance, Engineering, Building Safety and the City Planning Division to ensure citizen complaints are resolved.
- Assist in a variety of long range city planning activities such as updating existing land use plans, adoption of new plans, revisions to development and zoning code and other urban design and neighborhood planning initiatives.
- Analyze data and research to generate policy solutions and identify development trends.
- Review sign permits and zoning confirmation requests for compliance.
- Perform other relate duties as required or assigned.
Secondary Job Duties
- Secondary duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) in related field does not require related experience; or Bachelor's degree in non-related field plus three years directly related experience.
- AICP certificate preferred.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Effectively communicate with others orally and in writing often under complex conditions that require good judgment.
- Must possess the ability to make clear, effective public presentations.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Must be proficient in the use of a computer and software programs such as word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications. Must be able to become proficient in the use of GIS applications and other software programs. Must be able to effectively operate standard office equipment.
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee regularly is required to move from location to location; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Vision abilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally required to traverse uneven terrain such as undeveloped land or construction sites.
EOE AA Veteran/Disability