Benefits and Leave Administrator
BENEFITS & LEAVE ADMINISTRATOR 2020 - 01596
- Essential Job Duties
The City of Fayetteville is committed to attracting, engaging and rewarding a multi-generational workforce. By offering a total rewards package including competitive compensation and benefits plans and a purposeful work life, the City is an employer of choice focused on serving our community.
As an employer of choice, the City provides a base compensation and total rewards structure that is highly competitive.
The starting rate of pay for this position will depend on experience and qualifications.
The grade range for this position is:
(Minimum 15% Minimum) Market Maximum
$19.53 $22.46 $23.53 $28.24
- Provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees (especially members of their own team), and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.
- Perform the day to day administration of health, dental, life and vision insurance.
- Administer short and long-term disability programs, 457 and 401a retirement savings plans, medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, health savings account, accidental death & dismemberment insurance and supplemental insurance (cancer, accident, etc.).
- Manage the benefits software systems including applications for benefits enrollment, data feeds to and from carriers, ACA monitoring and reporting and HRIS payroll integration.
- Administer ACA measurement and reporting for compliance.
- Ensure employees are enrolled for their benefits in a timely manner. Enter employee benefits choices into benefits software systems.
- Process employee status changes and qualifying events using existing systems and processes. Complete maintenance sheets for payroll deductions and benefits.
- Oversee the planning, coordination and implementation of annual benefits enrollment.
- Meet with regular, full time employees who resign to review benefits continuation options (COBRA continuation, conversion of policies, etc.).
- Assist employees with the application process for short term disability benefits and/or long term disability benefits.
- Assist surviving beneficiaries in filing death claims with insurance companies.
- Meet with employees who have questions or issues concerning benefits and troubleshoot complex benefit issues.
- Direct employees to appropriate contacts with insurance providers to assist them with benefit issues pertaining to coverage.
- Determine employee eligibility for Family and Medical Leave Act and provide employees with appropriate forms. Track FMLA leave and provide updates to appropriate HR staff.
- Manage the catastrophic leave program and provide information and assistance to employees in utilizing the program.
- Assist employees called to active military duty in understanding and using their military leave. Explain available payroll and benefit options. Request and maintain the required documentation and ensure required forms are completed.
- Conduct New Employee Orientation sessions.
- Prepare and distribute benefits and wellness communications.
- Function as a liaison between vendors, employee committees, HR and administration in the development and communication of benefits and wellness strategies.
- Keep the HR Director and HR team informed about benefit related issues in a timely manner.
- Oversee the organization of the document management system concerning employee benefits and leave documentation.
- Maintain HR content on internal and external websites.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Secondary Job Duties
- Act as back up to review and process personnel actions to comply with policies and create and maintain employee records in the HRIS/payroll system.
- Cross-train with other HR positions as requested.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Human Resources or related area from a college or university and two years of HR or office setting experience required.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- PHR or SHRM-CP, desirable.
- Must successfully pass criminal background check, including but not limited to convictions, guilty pleas, or no contest pleas to violent offenses, theft offenses and any offense under A.C.A. 21-15-103.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently with little supervision.
- Must be proficient in the use of a computer and highly proficient in the use of word processing and spreadsheet applications. Must be able to become proficient in the use of applications for payroll, benefits, document imaging and various insurance company and benefits vendor online programs.
- Possess strong organizational skills.
- Ability to pay close attention to details.
- Ability to read and interpret benefit program documents.
- Effectively communicate with others orally and in writing often under complex conditions that require good judgment.
- Ability to use addition, subtraction, multiplication and/or division to calculate pay rates, insurance rates and percentages. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time; move from location to location. Ability to manipulate computer keyboard and papers; and stoop or bend (such as to work with and around filing cabinets). Occasional light lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds, may be required.
EOE AA Veteran/Disability